Raj Tamkuhi, the capital of Sahis’ became the seat of the House of Bagochias as a result of the revolt of Raja Fateh Bahadur Sahi against the East India Company. The story of Tamkuhi might be two hundred and fifty years old, but the family which founded it dates to a couple of centuries before Christ.
Legends say that the Sahis’ are descendants of Mayura Bhatta, a descendant of Rishi Jamdagini. More than a hundred generations passed before Raja Fateh Bahadur Sahi founded Tamkuhi.
During his revolt against the English suzerainty of Bengal, Raja Fateh Bahadur Sahi had to leave his then capital Husseypur and take refuge in the jungles of Bank Jogini of pargana Sidhua Jobna of then Gorakhpur District. It was here he laid foundations of Tamkuhi Raj by building a mud fort clearing the forest.
Right since the inception of Tamkuhi until he gave up the throne and turned into a fakir in 1808, Raja Fateh Bahadur Sahi ensured that the British never had influence over Tamkuhi. Permanent Settlement records of 1830 show Tamkuhi under the Rajas after him. His successors added to the growth and development and by 1947, Tamkuhi became a small town with facilities for education, health, and cultural activities.